Wednesday 27 April 2011

Mobile Kitchen


Every day on my way back from school I see this man carrying with two big boxes heavy looking boxes around, and I always wondered… “What is that for? That just looks like a big weight”. This was until one day I saw him sitting and cooking and understood what the box was really for. The two big boxes were his mine kitchen, something that really surprised me because the food stands found in Venezuela are much different to the one this man was using. He looked very traditional; Venezuela’s food stands look very “American”. This man would place his stand in the floor and take out the materials to cook the food and the hot base to heat the food and of course the food. Once he actually took everything out, you could see how many things he was really carrying, I was surprised he could fit everything in, and then carry it around everywhere. That certain day he had good sells as I saw 3 different people buying food in the split minute I passed by him. By then I was thinking, what a great idea, he can choose where to go any time of the day he wants, if he is not selling in one place he can just move to the next, and sell there! But then another thought came to mind, what if it rains? Where would he go? Would people by him food then?

Yes he will likely find a roof to not get wet, but how long can that take? And what if the vases used as stove gets wet? Is it the end of the work day or does he go somewhere to re start the carbon?

1 comment:

  1. Great topic choice. I know exactly what you are talking about. Some of these informal vendors are very resourceful. The one thing I often wonder is do they have regular customers? Do you think he walks the same route each day? How much money do you think they make a day and do they help the local economy? Please make sure you include photos in the future.

    ReplyDelete